Generative AI systems are trained on massive amounts of textual data, which enables them to generate relevant responses to a wide range of questions and prompts. This has currently been the focus across various fields, the pharmaceutical industry included, thanks to recent breakthroughs in the field like (Chat)GPT and DALL-E.
Generative AI helps pharmaceutical manufacturers in many ways. From our perspective, among the most potentially impactful applications for pharma marketers are:
- Virtual Reps: Chatbots that can be integrated into websites, social media channels, and messaging apps to answer questions about pharmaceutical products and services.
- Content creation and marketing: Aid in developing more targeted and personalized marketing content and messages that resonate with healthcare providers and patients.
- Harnessing insights: Analysing large datasets like customer feedback, and social media conversations provides valuable insights into customer behavior and preferences.
While the advances in LLM technology demonstrated by ChatGPT are poised to expand the range of applications exponentially, several critical barriers must be overcome to make LLMs commonplace within the pharmaceutical industry.
- Pharma data sets are not easily accessible: Pharmaceutical marketers work off of proprietary data sources that often lack interoperability,and most Generative AIs have not been trained on data sets specific to the life sciences space.
- Ethical considerations: Marketers are hesitant to use generative AI as they are concerned that the content produced could be misleading
- Regulations around data privacy: Pharma marketers must ensure that their use of Generative AI complies with data privacy laws, such as HIPAA in the US and GDPR in the EU.
The Next Revolution in AI:
As described above, GPT-3 technology has unleashed a huge amount of speculation and experimentation that is already making a real impact on the pharmaceutical industry. The possibilities with GPT-4 are sure to be even more expansive
- Its image recognition and understanding capabilities are said to be exceptional.
- Retains up to 64,000 words as context. This is 8x compared to GPT-3.
- Capable of answering questions in 26 languages.
- Deemed a more reliable, creative, and efficient model
- Said to have human-level performance on academic benchmarks.
Just as a painter's palette holds endless potential for creation, GPT-4 opens up a world of untapped possibilities. What new masterpieces will GPT4 lead to?